Saturday 25 February 2012

Where there is a will there is way.

This week I've read two articles on autonomous learning. These articles aroused active discussions on Nicenet. To my mind, most of teachers, taking part in the discussion, believe that autonomous learning is important, but many complain that due to curricula, textbooks, and rules functioning in the educational system it is hard to implement. I strongly believe that the teacher can decide on what to do and how to teach his/her class. The teacher can choose the book or several books and elaborate a curriculum, suitable for the needs of the students. Of course there are obstacles, but it is worth trying. If the results are visible, then people around you will accept your change. Well, I admit that things might be different in various countries. As for my university, we teachers are free to choose the resources, we're just asked to elaborate a curriculum for the class and we can use even several books. I also know that school teachers do not have such freedom, still they are allowed to take two or three books, which are recommended by the Ministry of Education. Well, my conclusion is: where there is a will, there is a way. 




P.S. I think this caricature can somehow contribute to what I've written above.

This week has also been marked by another important event. We had to choose partners for our projects. It turned out quite a difficult task for me, personally. After a long week, I finally joined Vijay and Salam. I really appreciate the fact that they invited me to team up with them.   

9 comments:

  1. Buna ziua, Ludmila!
    I agree that choosing peer readers was rather a difficult task. Personally I felt like it was the most difficult task I have so far had. I read Vijay's invitation for you, and thought you would join the group Vijay - Salam (as you write here, in the blog), but on the class Wiki you are in one group with Zarifa and Hakim! Which variant is correct?
    :)
    Yuliya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yuliya,
      First of all I'm glad you learnt the Romanian greeting. It's great!
      As for your question, I accepted Vijay and Salam's invitation. As far as I can understand Zarifa had frequent cuts of electricity and couldn't answer my letter, that's why not having any reply from her I finally took the decision to join the guys.
      I hope things are clear now.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ludmila,
    I was glad to read your comment on autonomy. I wished I had enough time to discuss it with all those who chose it.It's very important as you said and difficult at the same time. I really hope that I'll be able to achieve the goal of autonomy with my students one day!
    Wishing the best of luck in your project.
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ludmila,

    First of all, THANK YOU for joining us!

    I share your positive spirit regarding large classes and learner autonomy. Hope it is again 'the teacher' that can change things positively!!

    best,
    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vijay,
      It is honor for me to work with such experienced teachers as both you and Salam are.
      best wishes,
      Ludmila

      Delete
    2. I think there are many factors as you've mentioned that contribute to implementing such autonomous learning environments,curricula,text books and the education system.I'd like to add that the community as a whole and the parents as well could contribute in creating such environments,it is a collaborative work,every one included must be aware of the responsibilities to be taken.

      Delete
  4. Dear Ludmila,

    I agree to with you on the autonomy of the teacher in class. Unfortunately, those who teach within an institution (School or University) they have no say in deciding on the books used in each class, most of the time they have to follow the instructions and lessons provided in the textbook to the tee. I think in this case the autonomy is limited to the extra work a teacher can bring to the classroom and the approach he/she uses in using the book activities.

    In an ideal word, I am strongly with more teacher's autonomy in teaching so it can reflect on the student's one in their learning too. Saying that, I would say, if there is a will to bend the rules or work around the system, there is definitely a way!

    Best,

    Hassan, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ludmila,

    I like your simple way of summarizing this week materials and activities. That is a very good way of expressing oneself about something. I am happy to have you and work with you so that we can learn from each other.

    Salam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although the ministry might have a specific range of books for teachers to use, I don't see any harm in using additional materials and resources to engage the students to the content even more.

    "When there's a will there's a way" seems like the most favourite quote for this week's discussion.
    Hope to learn more next week

    xx
    Nur

    ReplyDelete