Sunday 19 February 2012

Tools for Excellence

I can call this week a practical week. This is because we had less to read and more to practice.
As sometimes, it takes me more time to understand how things work, last week I was not very successful with the WebQuest. I myself didn't like the first Web Quest that I did. That's why I started this week with zunal.com. And  finally I managed to do something I liked. So I can say that this is the first achievement of mine during this week.
The second achievement was the PPT. I can say that I used PPT before for presentations during teacher's seminars, at the conferences and sometimes in class. But it wasn't interactive. I would like to mention one thing. We often discussed at the department whether it is worth using a PPT. Some respectable teachers say it is boring, and it makes no sense in reading info from the slide. Even then I didn't agree with them. At the last conference in October, I made a presentation (not an interactive one) but I used it as a tool, which helped me explain things. And  they liked it. That's an example that proves  that sometimes you may do a great deal of work, but be unable to present it properly. The fact that we have a PPT does not mean that it's going to be  a success. We have to think how to present it, to arrange, to "manipulate" it and why not the audience, in order to achieve the desired result. I intend to read more about PPT, as I think it's a worthy subject for investigation.
That's about my previous experience with PPT.
This week it turned out that PPT joined me and my son. Usually he does not get involved in my work. He minds his own business. But this week I showed him some examples of interactive PPT and he wanted to help me. We worked for several hours, he helped me find pictures, adjust them to the slide and I found out my son knows the computer pretty well. Now, he decided to make a PPT on violence (that's a school project). I'm grateful to our instructors for this opportunity. (Those who have children know how important it is to find a common interest with your child).


I have also found out many activities for large classes. I really liked some of them and made up my mind to use them during my theory classes.
The general impression of this week is that we are getting ready for a very important event (you know like they train astronauts for space travelling) and we have to acquire as many skills as possible. 
During this course I've  managed to make a kind of teacher's tool kit, which could be helpful in any situation.



P.S. Read the text under the pictures :)


1 comment:

  1. Ludmila,
    It's great to hear about your enthusiastic experience with PowerPoint - both in its value as a teaching tool and for the great joint project with your son!

    I hope that you able able to convince many of your colleagues of the value of PPT with all your new experience!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete